Broke and hungry was my tagline a few weeks ago. Faced with the need to eat, save money, yet still make it tasty and healthy… what a mission!
Here is what I whipped up…
- Kosher salt
- 10 cups (loosely packed) fresh basil leaves (about 2 bunches)- Or a good substitue would be Classicos pesto in a jar (buy two)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan plus more
- 3 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mild extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 pound (box) spaghetti
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. and add spaghetti.
While spaghetti cooks add basil, olive oil (1/4 cup) to blender/food processor
Pulse until well combined (1 minute or so)
Transfer basil mixture to a medium bowl. add salt and pepper to taste
- Add basil mixture to sauce pan and heat in large skillet
- Warm skillet and begin frying egg (low heat)
Drain water off of noodles and immediately add on top of basil in pan- DO NOT STIR
- Add shredded Parmesan cheese to noodles
- Toss all of mixture and noodles together
- Fry an egg (leaving yoke runny) and top the pasta with it
How did you like it?